Friday, December 16, 2011

Fans and Teammates

Hey everyone,

Hope all is well, for me things are pretty easy going, nothing special going on. I always wish something special will happen so I have more to write to you, but I guess it's not always the case.

In the last months I have been reading more gay websites, more articles, more video's for LGBT rights and so on, it gives me a better picture and insight to the things that happen in the world and in the community.

A lot of times I get a good feeling from reading about the LGBT youth and the things that they are able to do, like coming out, supporting others, trying to make a difference and helping out. Of course there is bullying and there are a lot of problems, especially with the gay youth, but they have courage that I don't think was around in the late 90's and early 2000's.

I think the internet has a lot to do with everything, giving kids more options to read, and learn about themselves and others, to meet teenagers like them and to be able to share some things with others, something that wasn't really around as much when I was growing up, even though it wasn't that long ago.

I don't really know how it is to live in that world; a world of a gay person that just goes on about his life has his straight friends and gay friends and just lives his life. I mean that's an environment that I don't know and never been a part of, my environment is basketball players, fans and people that work around basketball.

It's funny, I never feel a part of it, not just because the locker room chat is about women most of the time, what never really gives me an opportunity to join the conversation, both because I know nothing about it and have no interest to talk about it, but also because I feel that it's talks that are more suitable for 17 year olds and not people around my age, but they always say that pro athletes are just like little babies, so maybe they are mostly right.

I have been thinking lately about the reaction of fans, if they knew or if I were to come out, I wrote about this before, the fans overseas are more college fans than N.B.A ones. They go crazy in games, they curse, shout and have no boundaries, not all of them, but a lot of them.

I have been around a lot of teams and a lot of fans and while I know that most of the fans of teams I will play against will have a lot to say and I would have just to deal with it, I often wonder how the fans of my own team will react. I mean of course it depends how long I have played there and of course the relationship I have with them, but I don't really know what to think.

I'm sure that a lot will accept it, but also there are some that would have a harder time dealing with it, of course it's all up in the air and I can't really know for sure, but I need something to think about don't I?

Enjoy your weekend and don't forget to get presents for everyone, I don't mind if you want to send me a couple also....

P.S - the guy I met in the summer and really enjoyed myself with has a birthday this week, we haven't spoken since I got back, should I wish him a happy B-Day or just leave it, any suggestions??

2 comments:

  1. I think a simple, "Happy Birthday" makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IN THE LAST 5 -7 years it's like a quantum leap in the gay world when it comes to understanding and acceptance. I guess you're just one generation shy of that.

    I think if you play well, your own fans, the ones that follow your team, are on your side and could care less. You play poorly, they'll boo you, which is their right, and probably slide into homophobic slurs. Of course the fans of he other teams will always use homophobic slurs. It's all personal,of course. They want to get into your mind so you take poor shots and miss.

    What 'natur' says, "...a simple 'Happy Birthday' makes sense"

    ReplyDelete