Friday, October 28, 2011

Just Living

Hey everyone, hope you are enjoying your weekend.

It was a real good feeling to have my blog mentioned on the TrueHoop Blog one ESPN by Kevin Arnovitz who writes N.B.A and more for ESPN and also happens to be gay. He posted a link to my last post about coming out to a friend and it was a warm surprise to hear about it from one of the readers of my blog.

He posted a interview with Rick Welts, the former Phoenix Suns president who is now at the Golden State Warriors organization and came out last year and was the first Major sports executive to do so. If anyone wants to check it out, this is the link:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/index/_/count/16

As for me, I'm doing well, working hard and enjoying my job. It's funny, I enjoy working out in the weight room before practice and in general, I’m not one of those guys that sits in the weight room all day and look at themselves nor do I try to look like a bodybuilder.

However, it gives me a good feeling that I'm in shape and that my body looks good, my brother was joking with me that I’m a stereotypical gay that only cares about his looks and his muscles and it was funny.

There is always this conversation about how gay men tend to take better care of themselves and pay more attention to their body and their whole demeanor. I wonder if it's just another stereotypical thing that people throw out there or if there is any truth in that.

Of course for me it's also needed for basketball, so I have the perfect cover story :). I remember reading John Amaechi's book and on the back he wrote something about how all the N.B.A players spent a lot of time in front of the mirror after games, fixing their hair, earrings and so on, and that he was the gay one, so go figure.

Besides that, I’m in the same situation, not dating or meeting anyone online, just reading a lot of material on the gay fight for equality, the different projects intended to help youth and that sort of stuff, very interesting and very helpful for me to find out more.

It's been a little difficult lately for my friend who is H.I.V positive. I mentioned this before, but he has been going through a lot of things, and since I’m about the only person besides those who are involved in his treatment we are having a lot of Skype hours.

It's hard a lot of the time, he has a lot of things to talk about and to put out there and it's also hard for me. Which might sound not fair, but I have to always be able to say the right and positive thing and sometimes it's not very easy because sometimes he is just in a different place, but I have no intention of leaving him alone, so we will all do our best.

Last thing is the World Series, anyone out there that is a baseball fan had to enjoy last night’s game, it was just crazy, no other word. I was lucky that I only had evening practice, I could stay up all night, and it ended in the morning over here. It was very exciting, I was disappointed since I want Texas to win, but boy was it a great game. Hope game seven will bring us the same passion and excitement.

1 comment:

  1. That's nice that you are there for your friend. Just from what and how you write, you sound like an amazingly great guy.

    ReplyDelete