Friday, September 9, 2011

Back Once More

So, it's time to start another season of blogging and basketball. I did put up a couple of posts here and there, but no it’s time to get serious. This is the third year that I will be putting up posts, hope it will be in interesting year.

Basketball wise, we are doing our thing, working hard, getting to know teammates, the system, the offense, defense and what not, and also working to get into better basketball shape and physical shape.

I don't know if anyone here is following EuroBasket 2011, but it's been a great tournament, it's still up and running. A big amount of N.B.A players and stars, such as Nowitzki, Tony Parker, Kerilnako, Batum, Turkuglo and so on. It's great to watch and I’m enjoying each game I get a chance to see.

Regarding my personal life, not a real change, haven't spoken with the guy I met on vacation for a couple of months now. It's getting easier and I don't think of him as much anymore, gives me more peace and quiet, even though I have to admit that I look on facebook from time to time to see if he's still single.

I know it's time to move on, it's not like I'm going to date anyway anytime soon, but at least I'm a little more at peace with myself and not going crazy thinking about him.

On a completely other subject, I’m sure that most of you know that gay men aren't allowed to donate blood. If you didn't, well most countries ban gays from giving blood, since it has a bigger risk of being HIV positive, at least that's what they claim.

First of all I don't understand why when the blood gets tested for HIV anyway is there a difference who donates it? I mean, can't you just not use the donation’s that are HIV positive? Of course if I’m missing something I would be happy to hear from any of you and to be more educated on the subject.

The funny thing is that I read a couple of days ago that the U.K is close to lifting the ban on gay men donating blood, but there is a catch, you have to go 12 months without having sex, is that a joke or did they lose it all together?

I mean, basically they mean they are going to lift the ban and still prevent from 70% ( a real rough estimate) of gay men to donate blood, so this has to be just nonsense, at least in my opinion.

There is always the fact that if I want to donate I can cause I’m not out and no one knows I’m gay, but I don't see the point, if my blood isn't good enough because I’m gay, then I guess there is no point in donating it anyway.

I think this is a subject that still needs to be looked at harder. I mean you can be straight and be very promiscuous and be in a higher risk than a gay man who is in a committed relationship, but I guess that doesn't really matter to anyone.

There are a couple more things I wanted to write about, but I'm after two practices today and I honestly forgot most of what I wanted to say. So I guess I will wish everyone a great weekend and enjoy the upcoming N.F.L season.

1 comment:

  1. Well it's the association of the HIV to the high prevalence rate among gay men, or men who engage in m2m sex. HIV infection is an absolute contraindication for blood donation. Since there's a high prevalence rate, m2m sex is considered a high risk behaviour same with unprotected sex (gay or straight), and sharing of needles among drug abusers.

    In some countries, like in the philippines, they only allow at least 6-8months deferral since the previous sexual engagement. That would be enough time to detect if there is indeed HIV or even Hepatits infection in a donor.

    ReplyDelete