Saturday, February 27, 2010

Religion

Hey

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend, where ever they are in our small globe. There is one subject I never brought up yet, and I think now is a good time to do it. That subject is the religious issue and it's influence on homosexual people. Its not even a matter of going into different religions, because basically I think all religions have a "issue" with gays in a matter of saying.

I can say about myself that I'm not really the religious type,I accept each one's beliefs, but religion has never been a big deal for me. I never had thoughts or questions of whether god will love me or not, On my part I was always much more worried from what people I love would say rather then the man upstairs.

I know that a lot of religious men who are gay feel a big burden and feel sometimes that they are living in sin and either god hates them or they will not get to go to heaven. I never thought of myself as someone who can preach or explain too many things that have to do with religious issues.

Though one thing I strongly feel is that the biggest problem isn't the bible or what "would god think", but is the way people in high religious positions interpret the bible and interpret that same issue.

I believe that a lot of followers do not really care who is gay and who isn't, until they hear in Sunday mass or bible studies or what ever gods they believe in, that god considers gays as freaks or mentally ill or sinners, then they start caring.

When they are told that gays need to be reformed or are ill and sinners then they go around pass fliers, demonstrate, petition and talk about what will happen to us gays "not following god's way.

I even stumbled across some of those some years back, I just looked and felt bad for those who just try to spread hate or just try to influence others and tell them what is wrong and what is right.

In that same time I felt great for some of the gays that those people tried to preach to, because they felt so good with themselves and so peaceful that they just made a joke out of it.

I can speak for myself and say that I never was asked by anyone if I want to be gay or not. And since I didn't wake up one morning and decided I like guys I truly believe that I'm not harming anyone by what I decide to do in my bedroom ( nowadays not much, but in the general sense :) )

I'm also not a big history buff, but I do know that in ancient Greece being in a gay relationship or having gay sex was something normal and common, having gay relations wasn't really a social issue or something that could jeopardize anyone in the community .

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that even though there are some churches and some religious groups that are gay friendly and accepting of people in general and even though we hear more and more about gay priests in the churches, being gay is something that is condoned by the people themselves and less by gods words: "The bible".

Whether it's the old testament , the new one, the Koran or what ever someone might believe in, isn't the reason for the religious hate of gays, but people who preach and teach and tell the people listening that god will hate the gays and god will punish them.

I might be right and I might be wrong, but this is how I choose to see it and what I believe in. As I mentioned before, for me it's much harder to deal with the people in my life and the people I love accepting me being gay, then "god's beliefs" or the way people portray his beliefs, I don't wish to disrespect anyone's beliefs, I'm just telling you mine.

It's been a long post, but I will finish with a song, it has some of the words I wrote about, but in a different meaning, I'm sure you all know it,

That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight,
I'm Losing my religion
Trying to keep up with you
And I don't know if I can do it
Oh no, I've said too much
I haven't said enough
I thought that I heard you laughing
I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try

I was happy to read that it talks about the beginning of a relationship between two people, and that the one that is interested in the other is wondering if he or she feels the same, guess it tells all of our story's.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the weekend and good luck to the USA hockey team tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hey..

    Being a Proud Canadian.. Woot Woot For winning Gold.. MUHHAHAHAHAHAHA.. Sorry US - U did play a great game though.. Ryan Miller was wicked!

    On to Religion.. So i just have to say one thing about Religion.. My bf's family being portuguese are very religious so for him to come as far as has with his beliefs and faith is great. At first, He thought he was going to Hell, His mum thought this too (maybe still does) but she is understanding that the new testament (sp?) doesnt say anything bad about gays at all. Also the bible was chosen from many books by different people and some even said good things about gays. There is a website out there showing this. If I find it I will post it.

    Anywhoooo.. Religion to me is so man created that its sad that people can hate others bc of it. I believe in God/Jesus but I believe that these two dont believe in hatred amongst others. That being gay is just another way of life. We will not be sent to hell bc of it..

    Man.. I am becoming preachy.. Ok will stop.. I am writing at work.. So sorry if i have so many spelling/grammer errors. Whoops!

    ReplyDelete