Thursday, March 25, 2010

" It Can Happen Any Day"

I brought the subject up once, and that's the subject of injuries,it came up in the post about handling the pressure. It talked more about faking injuries or hoping in my subconscious to get injured so I won't have to deal with the pressure that certain games and events bring up, pressure that isn't easy to deal with.

Unfortunately, there are the real injuries, something no one thinks about to much, until it happens. We as athletes are supposed to be the healthiest ones around, since we work out so much and practice all day and every day, but professional sports can be hazard's to anyone's health.

On the pro level it stops being a sport that we do for fun and it becomes work, and usually players are over worked and over practiced and they hurt their body.

When a player gets injured it's the most helpless feeling in the world, you can't do what you love but also you can't do your job, you can eventually lose your contract and salary and the option to play later on in your career.

I have seen players that tore a ligament, tore their ACL, broke several bones and other harsh injuries that can kill dreams, hopes and careers in seconds and all of this with a quick and wrong turn, fall or just bad luck.

We sometimes get so motivated and so pumped with adrenaline that we don't notice we are hurt or that we need to rest or to take it easy, cause we just want to go on and practice and play and be a part of what's going on, reading about or seeing someone get injured always brings it back to my mind and also to others, that things can end very quickly and very painfully, without us having a chance to change it or control it.

Sports is a short enough career anyway, and when it can end in the middle of it's prime, from something that took exactly 5 seconds it's scary and sometimes hard to accept. Even though we are all sure we aren't the one's who will be injured, it's not really up to us and lady luck, or in my case manly luck :) can blink it's eye for a second and it will all be over.

In more gay related subjects, it was interesting to hear and read the article in dime magazine : http://dimemag.com/2010/03/secret-life-of-the-gay-american-basketball-player/

I really believe that the gay subject in sport's is developing and getting more intention with everyday going by, I can't say what the outcome will be, but I'm sure that their are some journalists who would love to interview a gay pro player and put it out there and see what the reactions will be.

As I said before, I don't believe that such a player will come forward and do it, but maybe I will be surprised. Maybe things are changing faster than I thought they would or maybe it's just a temporary thing.

I also have been reading about teams that have promotional nights for the gay community, I wonder if it's out of a real wish and desire to appeal to other major crowds out there, or is it just in order to sell tickets and avoid empty seats.

In general I have to say that things are pretty much the same, I have been a good boy for so long that I'm about to go crazy, but besides that, well, guess there isn't much besides that....

This song is just a general thought :

I'm tired of being what you want me to be
Feeling so faithless lost under the surface
Don't know what you're expecting of me
Put under the pressure of walking in your shoes
(Caught in the undertow just caught in the undertow)
Every step that I take is another mistake to you
(Caught in the undertow just caught in the undertow)

1 comment: