Thursday, February 3, 2011

Who We Really Are

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for not writing in almost two weeks, its been a very busy time for me. We have had a intense couple of weeks , a lot of gamesand not a lot of time between them.

Its hasn't been the best time for our team lately, things aren't going well at the moment, at least not the way we hoped it would go.

We have good guys off the court, but once we get on it its not looking so good. It's frustrating for me and for the other guys, don't get me wrong, we are still in a good situation, just not playing the basketball that we would have liked to play.

On a different note, I saw a link left by Kardon22 on the comments to my last post. It was a link for Zack Wahls speech, for those who haven't seen it, Zack is a 19 year old Iowa student, that has lesbian parents.

Zack talks in front of a judge about gay rights before a vote in the matter. Without going into the whole story, I just wanted to say that his speech was great, touching and hit the spot.

It for sure showed people that having lesbian or gay parents shouldn’t and doesn’t affect the way you turn out, but rather if you have parents that love you and care about you.

There is a lot of bigotry in the world and in sports. I have no doubt that there are a lot of people that know and understand that a parents love is all that matters, but sadly enough the rest and a big percent of the world are bigots.

Straight parents can make mistakes and be really bad parents, can abuse or hit their kids, just like anyone else. Which brings me back to my general point, what matters is the person you are and not whether you like men or women, but unfortunately most people don't see it that way.

A lot of my posts come back to the same points, no matter what the story is. Unfortunately people judge others before they ever meet them; someone who is gay is already in a disadvantage in most places and it doesn't matter how much we try to sugar cone it, that's the reality of thing.

I mention this almost every time; I see how basketball players and everyone around them speaks and behaves and also a lot of the "regular people".

I'm really waiting for the day that I confront a teammate about being gay or about the way he and others speak about gays, whether it’s the "NO HOMO" use or other bad language.

I also know as I mentioned that I have played against a couple of gay bball players, i always wondered how a conversation with them would be like, what they feel, what they think and how they see the whole picture.

Do they feel like me? Unable to do too much. If they feel lonely, if they would want things to be differently, if they have meet other gay players that I don't know about, or had a relationship during those years.

Now that I write about it its really something that I'm giving an extra thought too. I don't think I will find out anytime soon, but if I do I will let you all know.

Enjoy your weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that you know that you've played against a couple gay b'ball players. How do you know they are? What is the harm in putting yourself out there to them when they would have no reason to out you? At the very least you would have a couple peer friends that you can share life's journey with... The commonality that you have with them is significant.

    ReplyDelete