Thursday, April 22, 2010

Gay Marriage

Hey

I wanted to rap up the subject I wrote about in my last to posts, talking about kids and marriage, of course all relating to the gay community.

I know that gay marriage is a subject that has been talked a lot about lately from prop 8 to all the states that have legalized gay marriage in the USA.

I wonder about myself first of all, when I will find someone I want to spend the rest of my life with, would I want to marry him?.

It's something complected, at least in my opinion, on one side, I would want to commit to the man I love and to show that I'm faithful to him and that I do recognize that we are a couple, which maybe means legalizing it.

On the other hand, since gay couples are just that, gay and not straight, I'm not sure if marriage isn't just a title to a social situation. It's not like someone that is married means that he will be faithful and to be honest without a doubt.

I mean, it's not like they will go to jail if they wont, nowadays there is a much bigger number of marriages that barely hold on or if they do, but not for a long time.

I think that life as we used to know it has changed, people are so driven, so on the move, and life just dishes out new adventures and new temptations every minute and every day. That makes it harder for everyone to "play nice" and keep their commitments.

I think it can show people and couples what their realtionship is made of, if it's something that is meant to be and meant to last, or is it just to satisfy others and society and just play by the rules.

Going back to the gay subject, I mean, if it's just a social thing and not more, then maybe it's not something that I would want to chase and try to achieve.

I would much rather be faithful in sync and happy with the man I love, rather then being married to him and feel that I have to be all that just because I said " I Do".

Again, I don't have a clear answer about what I would do, but I think it's something very subjective which every couple needs to decide for themselves.

Sometimes we the gay community want to be recognized as no different than any one else. Which might mean marriage, but then sometimes we need to face that still things are different and maybe we need to go our own way.

Hearing couples talk about who would be the woman in the relationship and who would be the man, just means that we might be trying to define ourselves with other people's expectations and wishes.

I know that the issue sometimes is more complicated, when there are kids involved, and there might be a need to legalize things. Both for dads or moms to have rights and legal claim for the kids, either one's they have had together or adopting each others kids and it's more then understandable.

In looking at others states in the USA and that in all the states only five I believe legalized same sex marriage, whether in a court ruling or a vote just goes to show you the true colors of the great USA.

I think that besides some states that are more modern and more tolerant towards different communities, in this case gay's, the rest of the US or most of it are states which are stuck in the past.

Those states base themselves a lot on racism towards minority groups, not just gays, but blacks and also other groups.

A lot of those states and people just say that they are following the words of the bible and the lord, but most of us already know that anything you want to justify you can find if you look and try hard enough.

Of course I'm generalizing things, but I do believe that most states have a lot of cities that can't accept others, which doesn't mean that all the people there behave that way, but just a majority or at least the decision makers.

Again, of course that L.A, Boston, San Francisco, NYC, and others are a sign of modern people for the best part and that's mostly what the US shows to the world and the people outside of the country.

I believe that that isn't the true America, but just a part which is put in the front to make the great country out to be something else then it really is, at least in those matters and those subjects and sadly enough those matters are important to a lot of people.

The lyrics of this song, just makes me wonder.....

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America! God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet,
Whose stern impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America! God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

3 comments:

  1. hey Baller.. funny this was your post today. One of my facebook friends had this posted...So let me get this straight - Larry King is getting his 8th divorce, Elizabeth Taylor is possibly getting married for a 9th time, Jesse James and Tiger Woods are screwing EVERYTHING, yet the idea of same-sex marriage is what? is going to destroy the institution of marriage?? REALLY?? *Feel free to copy and paste if you agree...*

    ReplyDelete